Baja has my heart.

I went to Baja, Mexico this summer as I am pursuing my Master's in Biology through the Global Field Program at Miami University. The experience was so much more than just a course.  It was so much more than just academic.  It was so much more than just ecotourism.  It was so much more than just field work. It was so much more than I ever thought it would be.  I discovered pieces of myself in Baja.  It's no secret that I love science and I love to travel.  So I knew this Master's program was perfect for me!  What I didn't bank on was looking deep into myself, honestly, without judgement, and being able to fight through the cloudiness to discover where I wanted to go and who I wanted to be.

This if Rafael.  I get tears in my eyes every time I look at this picture.  He has a way of looking deep into your soul and telling you more about yourself than you thought was possible for a stranger to know.  "You were born somebody."  This is his message for all who will listen.  I am making it my goal to take these words to heart.  
  
 I always thought I hated the desert, but instead I fell in love.  This is Rancho San Gregorio, where we stayed - and it was so beautiful.  

 We took a morning hike on our last day at the ranch.  Here I am at the top with the beautiful Cirio in the background.


 After the ranch we headed over to the Sea of Cortez, specifically the Vermillion Sea Field Station in Bahia de Los Angeles.  I am enjoying the refreshing water after days in the desert without a shower.  

 This is what I woke up to every morning.

And this is how we slept.  Outdoors, on cots, the waves lulled me to sleep.

 This is Rafa, my boat driver.  Everyday we went out on the water.  Field methods, observations, discussions and loads of fun were had on the water.  Rafa taught me a lot about life, and how to enjoy simplicity.  

We swam with sea lions.  As soon as I jumped in the water, they were directly beneath me.  One of the girls turned her head and looked straight at me for a few seconds, blinked, and swam away.  What a great connection!  I will always remember that moment.

 I even got in the water with a 20-30 foot whale shark.  At first I was petrified!  When I was standing in the boat, looking at that shark in the water, I could see the magnitude of its size.  I could easily fit into its mouth.  Those that know me, know that I rarely give into fear.  So I jumped in before thinking it through.  Breathtaking.  The shark was eating plankton at the surface and was angled downwards.  His gills were flapping as if there was severe wind under the water.  When he first turned in my direction, I could see into his enormous mouth.  I panicked and tried to frantically swim out of his way.  As I became comfortable with the animal, I began to relax.  He was aware of my presence.  He did not want to eat me.  He sucked in the sea water in complete silence and glided past me with every turn, and I was floating, completely relaxed.  It became the most serene moment I have ever had.


I found myself in Baja, and I left a piece of me there as well.

With love,
Audra Phelps

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to KAZAKHSTAN!

Expat parents emerging from the teenage years

ALMATY INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL