INDIA!!

INDIA.  It was everything we'd been told, and so much more.  This is what I wrote on Facebook right after we got back, "I will forever be changed by INDIA. I absolutely reveled in every moment. The sights, sounds, colors, smells, food, people, travel, craziness and serenity were all present in every moment. I learned how to cook. I learned how to feel. I learned how to see. I learned how to hear. I learned how to taste. I learned how to touch. I learned how to appreciate. I learned how to love. Everyone should experience India and be open to what it has to offer. Look past the surface, and you will see a nation of people worth making a part of your life."

We went with a fellow teacher, Alex Eaton.  Alex's mother is Indian, so he has a lot of family there who graciously hosted us.  It was a dream to not only be in India, but to see real India, and not tourist India.  I hope you enjoy the pictures - they say more than I can in words.

Our first meal at Sharan's house.  She is an amazing cook.

We went on a walk and happened upon these awesome, happy ironers.  They fill the irons with hot coal.

Sharan and I with her granddaughter in the kitchen.

I stuck out, so Sharan and Shashi put me in a saree.

Look at this awesome taxi!

At the train station.  Look at the colors of the women's clothes.  I just love it.

Our $8 train ticket included a full meal!

The cutest train I will ever ride - up through the Himalayas from Kalka to Shimla (we got off before Shimla).

Our view from the train.

Coming into a mountain train station.

Alex and I say hello from outside the train window.  

The tunnels are numbers.  I think there are more than 60 tunnels on our train ride through the mountains.

We happened upon a pilgrimage as we were walking through town.

Highest altitude Hindu temple

Our cosy cottage at The Leopard's Den.  Alex's uncle owns this guest house high in the Himalayas close to the village of Rajgurh.

View from The Leopard's Den.

Alex and I with his Aunt Kusym (sorry if I spelled that wrong).  She was so friendly and hospitable!

Terracing! In India, all land is used, even in the Himalayas.  

These are not leopard scratches, despite what Keith thinks.  They tap the tree for sap.  Unfortunately, it is overdone and is killing the trees.  

The Leopard's Den as seen from below.

Love the colors.

We spotted a local family working.

A shrine to one of the Hindu gods.

Rajgurh

Clothing for sale.

These beautiful women spoke very little English, but saw us walking by and invited us in for tea.  How could we refuse!?!

Himalaya bus stop.

Local jam factory started by a British women who employs women in her co-op.

Our bus that took us from the jam factory back to the Leopard's Den.

The village where we had tea, as seen from our guesthouse.

These amazing people took care of us while we were there and cooked us fabulous Indian food.

Our hosts at the Leopard's Den. :)

Market on the side of the road on the way from Rajgurh to Chandigarh.  I have never been on such a scary car ride as we wound through the Himalayas at top speed.  

I became famous at the Rock Garden in Chandigarh.  Everyone wanted a picture of the pale white woman.  I have pictures with families, kids, men, grandmothers, women, and everyone else that was there that day!

Making some fresh sugar can juice with black salt.

McPaneer!?!  No, it was not worth it.

Our taxi driver in Chandigarh.

Alex had to get some documents notarized, so where did Sharan take us?  To the street corner with notaries lines up with their card tables and type writers, or course!

This cute boy sewed sleeves on my Indian outfit for about $3.  Need something tailored?  Just look for someone on the street with a sewing machine.  They're everywhere!

Sharan teaching me how to make curry!

Shopping in Delhi.

Indian handicrafts.

Alex found these stylish sunglasses for about $1.

Making mattresses on the street.

Dying garments and laying them out on bikes.

We went to a Hindu temple and got blessed.

The third temple we went to.

Styling the Indian wear!

I love Sharan!

Pilgrimage through town.

Amazing food is about to be enjoyed.

Indian spice tin.  I bought one just like it.

Eating domas in Delhi.

There was a lot of laughter!

Our last meal with Sharan.  We were sad to say goodbye.

Indian outfits that we brought home for the kids.  They loved them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to KAZAKHSTAN!

Expat parents emerging from the teenage years

ALMATY INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL